I can’t say that I hate the police. It’s hard for me to utter those words because I have many friends who are in law enforcement. Many friends who walk out of their homes everyday with the best intent to protect and serve. Many friends who are also girlfriends & boyfriends, wives & husbands, friends, and parents who put their lives on the line every day in communities that hate them. One of my closest friends is the mother of a 1yr old whom she leaves every day to watch over and protect the streets of Chicago. She’s been injured twice. She’s tried to convince teenagers – as she was arresting them – to join mentoring programs … she even gave one of them her personal phone number if they ever wanted to talk. She’s now being required to work overtime (more time away from her child) to address the “increasing” violence in Chicago. Knowing this, I can’t say “I hate the police” no more than I would appreciate someone saying “all Blacks are on welfare” because that lumps them into a homogeneous group – and that is unfair and it is not the reality.
But what I CAN say is… F*** Those Who Abuse Their Authority.
You see that feels more appropriate because it allows me to cast a much wider net. For example:
- F*** managers who block career advancement for their employees based on race, gender, or any other factor other than their performance on the job.
- F*** elected officials who don’t look out for the best interests of their constituents, while simultaneously blocking the things they need like healthcare and a living wage.
- F*** law enforcement (including security guards and neighborhood watch) who use excessive force just because they believe they can instead of choosing to protect & serve.
- F*** institutions that roll out “general” policies that clearly have anegative impact on certain (read: minority) populations.
- F*** organizations that do the exact opposite of what they’re supposed to do.
- F*** companies that have the ability to help people and literally save lives, but don’t because they won’t profit off of it.
- F*** governments who oppress their citizens just because they can.
- F*** people in positions of power and/or privilege (earned, stolen, or assumed) who then oppress, demean, or mock their counterparts – many of whom are STILL suffering.
- F*** the folks in the fast lane driving below the speed limit.
- F*** the folks that see you waiting for a parking space and take their sweet time pulling out of it.
- F*** whoever is responsible for THIS. Yes, I am still mad about it.
And so the list goes on…. but you get the point.
I just wish I could live in blissful ignorance. I became so exhausted with the world this week that I don’t even know what to do anymore. I didn’t have any side eyes to give, I just closed them. There is just way too much going on right now and this week I just tried to opt-out of knowing, because I don’t know how to process these issues anymore at all …. I am just exhausted. And being informed has become a burden. Where is the On/Off switch for the internet? I don’t want to know anything anymore.
In general what I’m saying is “this week sucked”. It was terrible. Even the places that I usually turn to for humor had nothing to give me. Everyone is over it. But hey, it’s Thursday. So press through folks – the week is almost over.
Also, this happened. RIP Robin L